Enhancement Request for GNUcash

Aaron Laws dartme18 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 07:47:07 EST 2017

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 2:39 PM, Jesse Cochran <jessecochran316 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> To whom it may concern,
>
> Given how limited and un-free our monetary system is nowadays, I think
> GNUcash would make a great tool for the following freedoms below:
>
> 0 > The Freedom to modify your starting and ending balance. This means you
> can take a @200 balance (yes, I'm using the @ symbol for example use), and
> turn it into @200000 without the need to transfer anything.
>
> 1 > The Freedom to add and subtract from your ending balance like a
> calculator.
>
> 2 > The Freedom to send and receive money in any amount you choose.
>
> 3 > The Freedom to exchange this currency for other currency of any amount
> or size.
>
> So I am generically requesting a feature that allows this  to be
> implemented into GNUcash, just to exercise this right.
>
> Thanks for understanding,

If you're feeling down on your luck and would like to change your balances
gratuitously, you'll still be constrained by the double-entry paradigm
embraced by gnucash. Try making a transaction earlier than any of your
other transactions (say, 2002?) debiting your chequing account for, say,
$100,000, and crediting your opening balance equity for the same amount.
This exercise is always a nice "pick-me-up" for myself, and maybe it will
help you realize your freedoms as well?

Jesse.