Enhancement Request for GNUcash

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Tue Dec 5 08:46:10 EST 2017

  Most of us reading this are having more than a little difficulty
understanding for WHAT you are asking.
> To whom it may concern,
>
> Given how limited and un-free our monetary system is nowadays, I think
> GNUcash would make a great tool for the following freedoms below:
What does the free or unfree status of a currency have to do with
keeping track of it with double entry bookkeeping. Maybe give some
example where an "unfreeness" would affect accounting. Is it THIS sort
of thing? You deposit a check into your checking account and so record a
transaction in that amount as of that date. But your bank probably has a
hold on that amount until that check has cleared << you would NOT be
allowed to withdraw your full bank balance until then >> Or do you mean
something else?

> 0 > The Freedom to modify your starting and ending balance. This means you
> can take a @200 balance (yes, I'm using the @ symbol for example use), and
> turn it into @200000 without the need to transfer anything.
With double entry bookkeeping EVERYTHING you do has to have equal debit
and credit amounts. Are you possibly meaning "can I "rescale" EVERY
amount in the set of books? << that would not violate equal debits and
credits >>

> 1 > The Freedom to add and subtract from your ending balance like a
> calculator.
I can't eve guess what you might mean by this.

  2 > The Freedom to send and receive money in any amount you choose.

Nor this one either. What limitation on the amounts being entered are
you referring to?

  3 > The Freedom to exchange this currency for other currency of any
amount or size. So I am generically requesting a feature that allows
this to be implemented into GNUcash, just to exercise this right. Thanks
for understanding, Jesse.

For a "what if"? You want a global change of currency at some specified
exchange rate? << as opposed to the ACTUAL rate when the transactions
become real >> You are making an unjustified assumption here, that all
the things in your books would be exchangable in this way. Currency yes,
but how about other assets that exist in the place of the original
currency. You have a "book value" for those BUT do not know what the
actual amount of currency they convert to until that conversion (to the
first currency) has taken place. For example, your house here in the US
might have a book value of $X but you do NOT know if that can be
converted to #Y until/unless that house has been successfully sold.

Michael D Novack