GL Accounts

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Fri Dec 8 04:11:54 EST 2017

Hi Caleb,

welcome to the list.  Answers inline...

On Thursday, 7 December 2017 17:56:18 GMT Caleb Walker wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am trying to use GNUCash like I use Sage 100 understanding it is not as
> full featured as Sage but might be ok with another business I am starting.
> What I would like to do is make payments to something other than AP or
> receive invoices to something other than AR.  Is that possible?

Yes.  if a transaction isn't a AP purchase, why would you shoe-horn it into
AP?  EG. you buy something with cash. the transaction is Assets:CashOnHand ->
Expenses:Whatever, which you can record perfectly easily in GC.

> One
> example, I made a payment to my landlord and part of it was a deposit which
> I would like to go into an asset account and the other part is rent which
> would go into an expense account. How do I do that with this software?

You'd need a "split transaction", so £100 from Assets:Bank can be split to any
other number of accounts - eg £30 to assets:landordDeposit, and £20 to
Sales:tax and £50 to expenses:rent

> Another example, I received cash into the account that I would like to tie
> into an equity account to show owners startup capital.  How do I easily get
> the money over there?  Thank you for your help

Assets:Bank <- Equity:OwnerCapital:CalebWalker would be one way.

I suggest you give an hour or two to the tutorial & concepts guide at some
point which will cover these questions in more depth. See
http://gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?doc=guide

Good luck with your new venture.
Maf.

> Caleb

Maf. King
PGP Key fingerprint = 8D68 A91F 733B 2C1F 43B7  2B7C E591 E8E1 0DE7 C542