GL Accounts

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 08:30:11 EST 2017

Caleb,

Just a word of caution.

Certainly, not all transactions need to go through the business features and you can make manual transactions to accounts other than the built-in AR/AP accounts.

However, don’t make manual transactions in or to these accounts either. If you do, the business features can’t ‘see’ them. They can only see transactions created via the business features themselves.

If you would need to make AR/AP transactions in a manual fashion and no way around that, then the recommendation is to create additional AR/AP accounts such as ‘Other Accounts Receivable’ or ‘Other Accounts Payable’ and use those for such purposes. For example, I have some old debts that I didn’t want to enter the original bills and all payment history for. I created a liability account under a ‘Old Debts’ liability for each one. That way I can make manual payment transactions and still see the remaining balance for each. The business features aren’t aware of any of that activity, but my balance sheet report includes it.

Also, using the business features, you CAN pay or receive to accounts other than AR/AP. Just select the account you want in the drop down when posting the invoice/bill. If there are no other options in the drop down yet, click the ‘new’ button and add a new liability/asset account. (this means it can’t have existed already) This will add a new account and allow it to be ‘seen’ by the business features. It should then be selectable in the future.

Regards,
Adrien