Invoice & Bill Posting Date Issues Across Multiple Periods

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Sat Dec 9 17:23:12 EST 2017

On Saturday, 9 December 2017 21:06:23 GMT Adrien Monteleone wrote:

> The same can easily happen for invoicing customers. If I generate an invoice
> in December to a customer for work done in October and November, I can’t
> realize the appropriate raevenue in each period. I can only choose one month
> or the other. (or more likely, December since that will be the posting date
> - which is entirely incorrect)

Hi Adrien,

without opening GC to see if this is correct, my impression is that if I
create an invoice and have 2 line entries
15-Oct-2017  work done income:consulting £100
15-Nov-2017 other work done income:making £300

both on one invoice posted 3-Dec-2017, then the *income report* by month would
show the correct items within the correct month totals.  Happy to be told that
this is not the case, as I haven't explicitly tried it before posting.

Not withstanding that, my understanding is that under UK rules the document
date is the relevant one for tax reporting - I always set my posting date to
the document date.  And IIRC, an invoice should be raised within 2 weeks of
the "sale" being made. Of course, other jurisdictions may work differently.

0.02
Maf.