GnuCash: Docs: Where to document?

Charles Sliger chaz at bctonline.com
Mon Dec 11 19:41:27 EST 2017

On Mon, 2017-12-11 at 16:01 -0800, John Ralls wrote:

> > On Dec 11, 2017, at 2:27 PM, Charles Sliger <chaz at bctonline.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm starting to migrate from QuickBooks to GnuCash.
> > I'm working my way through the integration issues with
> > Gnucash - Python - Postgresql
> > How would the GnuCash team prefer that I document this for the benefit
> > of others?
> >
> > I've got about 30 years of unix/database/network systems engineering
> > under my belt and without that to draw on I don't think I would be able
> > to work my way through this as the documentation seems rather sparse and
> > fractured.
> >
> > I'll have to document it for my own purposes anyway so let me know if
> > there's interest.
> >
> Chaz,
>
> Can you outline what you propose to document? Integration with QuickBooks doesn’t really make sense to me and SQL servers have plenty of documentation themselves as well as hundreds of books and websites teaching how to administer them. Repeating any of that in our documentation would be pointless.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

John,
What I will be documenting is the actual nuts and bolts process for
using GnuCash, Python, and Postgresql together.  Integration is probably
too strong a word right now but I see these three as being very
complementary.  While it might be true that all of the information is
out there somewhere, I have had to make a number of educated guesses in
the process of just getting GnuCash and Postgresql working together.
This was after purchasing and reading all three books on GnuCash and
spending a good deal of time with on-line research.  Most people are not
going to have the time to become dba's in order to reap the benefits of
an RDBMS such as Postgresql.  I find they can benefit from having the
documentation for something like this pulled together in a single
narrative.  Given that the average PC today can easily handle running a
combination like this, it seems natural to leverage the capabilities of
a database like Postgresql.
Soooo...  I just thought I'd ask if there was a place put this kind of
information and a process for getting it there.

-chaz
Charles Sliger
"No matter where you go... There you are... Buckaroo Banzai"