Accounts using mySQL stuck in Read-only mode

Graham Reeves reeves.gj at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 13:00:54 EST 2017

I have been using Gnucash with mySQL for about as long as such things
were possible on both Windows and Ubuntu clients to a mySQL server
running on a Ubuntu server.
Occasionally the connection between the client and mySQL server would be
lost. This was a nuisance but not a great problem. All that was needed
was to close down the client. The connection would be re-established
when Gnucash was relaunched.

Recently however the connection appeared to be re-established but no
changes could be saved. An error message 'Unable to save to database'
was given. That was on a Windows laptop. We then tried to access the
same set of accounts on a Xubuntu machine. This worked for a couple of
weeks but then suffered the same problem.

Throughout this time I could still access the accounts from other
Windows and Xubuntu machines but I feared the malaise would spread.

I managed to recover the use of the Windows laptop by uninstalling
Gnucash, deleting the .gnucash folder, and reinstalling.

I tried to completely remove Gnucash from the Xubuntu client machine
using the --purge flag, deleting the .gnucash folder and cleaning gconf
using ' gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /apps/gnucash ' but I must have
missed something. When I reinstalled and ran Gnucash it went straight
into loading the last used accounts and would still not save changes.

The question is, what have I missed?

In still have access to these accounts from another Windows machine and
another Xubuntu machine so that suggests the database is OK. I run two
other sets of accounts, one with mySQL and the other with SQLite. Both
mySQL accounts are affected, the SQLite accounts are not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Graham Reeves