US tax with foreign stocks advance portfolio

Ignacio Fernandez Ortega nfernan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 21:28:28 EST 2017

I am going to respond to myself just to keep this information if someone
ask the same question in the future.

No, it seems there is no way. Advance portfolio applies always the same
exchange rate to basis and value. (I am trying to understand the trading
option but I am not sure it is going to help me)
The other way to do it is buying the stock (initial and additional
purchases) and keeping the price list for this security using the Gnucash
main currency. In my case $.
That's the only way to keep the cost basis with the original exchange rate,
basically deleting the exchange.

Pros: the advance portfolio is updated and you only use one currency
Cons: forget about the automatic download of quotes. You have to do it
manually.

If your portfolio only has 2 stocks probably is fine but with 10 stocks and
several purchases and dividends every week it is a lot of work.

I wish I could understand the program to fix the advance portfolio format
but I think in my case it could make sense to have a spreadsheet.

Thanks

***********************

Hi,

Question about how Gnucash handles the foreign stocks. My Gnucah main
currency is dollar but I have some stocks in EUR.
Gnucash is updating the basis cost in dollar every time I update the EUR/$
exchange rate in the Advance Portfolio report.
However, IRS requires comparing the selling price with cost basis with the
exchange rate at each specific date.
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-currency-and-currency-exchange-rates

Is there a way to keep the cost basis with fixed exchange rate?

Thanks