Fwd: US tax with foreign stocks advance portfolio

Ignacio Fernandez Ortega nfernan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 11:19:23 EST 2017

Hi Christopher,

I think I have understood how we can deal with Gnucash several currencies.
It is a little bit weird but I get what I want to see on the Advanced
Portfolio.
So the main point here is to *not follow the Purchasing foreign stocks from
the GnuCash guide if you want to track the correct cost basis*. I am not
saying the example is wrong, only that is not valid if you want to track
the cost basis
The example uses the secondary currency to input the stock purchases
instead of the primary currency. And the Advanced Portfolio only use one
exchange ratio for basis and value. The key here is to input all the
purchase in the main currency, so the Advanced Portflio only has to
exchange the value but not the basis.

Attached is my test file.

Gnucash takes the security currency (in my case DXIBX.MC) for the
transaction from the parent account. In my case Investment/Brockerage
Account/Stock. But, and this is important, the currency is set up on the
first transaction. Only on the first transaction.
In my case, Investment/Brockerage Account/Stock is USD because I want the
cost basis in USD. This account is in USD for the first stock purchase, and
that is the way GnuCash understand that this account is in USD. After the
first transaction (450/10/4500), if I change the Investment/Brockerage
Account/Stock to EUR, the first transaction and each following
transaction, *for
the cost basis purposes*, will remain in USD. *Repeat: Only for the cost
basis purposes*. There is some weird interaction when I change the currency
of the opening balance and  Investment/Brockerage Account/Stock to EUR.
Some parts remain in EUR and some in USD.

And what happens with the stock value? First thing is to delete from the
price editor any stock price added by Gnucash for each transaction in USD
if we want to value the stock in EUR. And then provide the
required information for the stock prices in EUR and the EUR/USD exchange.

Sorry if the description is confusing.  I hope we can prepare a guide with
the correct instructions that can help anyone facing these issues.