Sales Tax/Vat refund from Government

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Fri Feb 3 10:06:03 EST 2017

Hi John.

VAT due is not yours.  It is & has always been the government's money, that
you happen to act as a tax collector for free for them (by charging an extra
20% on your goods & services), and you look after it for a while, and then
give it to them. ( that's why it should be a liability on your books)

therefore, VAT paid to suppliers is not an expense  (for a VAT registered
business, at least. For an end user it *is* an expense).  That's how the whole
VAT return offsetting what you've paid vs what you've charged process works
out, such that the end consumer is the one who actually pays all the tax.

It follows that a quarter where you've paid more VAT to your suppliers than
you've charged your customers means that you have a liability account with a
negative balance.  So your accountant is IMHO correct to say that a refund
would be in the Liabilities:VAT account, which should bring that account back
to zero (ie increase it from a -ve)

(Value Added Tax is exactly that - well was back in the day - a tax on the
value added by a company's processes.  But it is the end user/consumer who is
actually paying the tax, not the companies involved in making the product.
Now-a-days, of course, it has been so extended & tinkered with that the "VA"
purpose isn't particularly clear any more, it's all about the "T"!)

HTH, IANAA etc.
Maf.