Sales Tax/Vat refund from Government

John Whitmore arigead at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 10:35:28 EST 2017

I agree with all you've said and I understand that VAT/Sales Tax is not my
money, I'm collecting it for somebody else. And I 100% agree that it's a
liability account, I'm just struggling with refunds. My Problem is that if at a point
in time, say today, I have built up a Liability of 100 in my VAT account and I
get a refund of 50 tomorrow, because last month I did nothing but purchase
supplies, and pay VAT on those supplies, to the tune of 50.

Given that scenario tomorrow with the 50 credited to my account by the
government going into the Liability account I now owe 150. That sort of feels
wrong.

On one level it makes sense, and it's beginning to work it's way through to
the grey matter.

Hold on if I've not done anything for months but pay vat on supplies then my
Liability account could end up with a balance of -50, then when I get the
refund the account goes to zero. OK that makes sense, it's my previous example
that feels wrong.

Right I agree with the accountant, tentively. ;-)

Thanks for your help, rubber ducking.