A crazy idea (but it works)

Tim Hume tim at nomuka.com
Mon Feb 6 15:37:25 EST 2017

Hi everyone,

I need to enter moderately complex split transactions into Gnucash. One of the splits is a transfer between accounts in different currencies,  the other is a transfer between accounts in the same currency (a fee charged to the customers).

The original data comes from a spreadsheet. I have dozens or hundreds of these to enter each week, and doing it manually was becoming too burdensome. I tried importing using various formats. QIF almost worked, but couldn't handle the different currencies. OFX might have worked, if I could work out all the details. I might have been able to use the python bindings too.

But what I've ended up doing is "automating" the manual process using something called sikulix. It's like having a robot sitting in front of the computer entering in the transactions. It's a crazy idea, but works sweet. Now I can leave the tedious and repetitive task to the computer, and it's more accurate than me entering the transactions by hand.

Cheers,

Tim.