Report to locate Unrealized Gains

Chris Good chris.good at ozemail.com.au
Mon Feb 6 20:26:16 EST 2017

> Message: 8
> Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2017 17:25:41 +0500
> From: "David T." <sunfish62 at yahoo.com>
> To: Gnucash <gnucash-user at gnucash.org>
> Subject: Report to locate Unrealized Gains
>
> Hello,
>
> The recent discussion regarding the Trial Balance and Balance Sheet
reports
> got me to wondering whether there is any way to list transactions that
create
> unrealized gains? It would be nice to be able to locate those transactions
in
> the ten years of data I have in my data file. Trying to dig them out from
the
> many accounts and transactions is not a fruitful use of time?
>
> TIA,
> David

Hi David,

There is no such report as far as I know.
Such a report would be useful although only for those who haven't known to
run a TB after each sale to check their capital gain/loss transaction is
correct.
A work-around would be to use the trial balance to do a binary search over
the transaction date range to identify which is the first date containing
transactions that cause the TB to go out of balance, and then use a
transaction report, which lists transactions for all investment accounts in
date order, to identify which investments had Sell transactions on those
dates. Repeat after fixing each problem.

Regards, Chris Good