Processing accounts payable

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Feb 8 10:18:45 EST 2017

Op woensdag 8 februari 2017 05:35:54 CET schreef Rich Shepard:
> On Wed, 8 Feb 2017, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > Delete the payment transaction:
> > - Go to the appropriate checking account
> > - Select the payment
> > - Click Delete
>
> Geert,
>
>    They are not shown in the checking account because I did not pay them; at
> least, I did not print/write/enter a check for them.

Ok, perhaps I need to take a step back here first to be sure we are talking
about the same thing.

In gnucash checks are not linked to payments at all. The "Print Check" button
on the payment dialog is just a convenience to open the check printing dialog
with all the payment information filled in based on the payment you are
entering in the process payment dialog.

So whether or not you printed/wrote/entered a check is not what we should
focus on.

If gnucash indicates the invoices are paid that means a payment was applied in
some way. The only ways I know you could get in that state are:

1. you have entered a payment for this invoice directly via the process
payment option.
2. You have added a pre-payment for this vendor and this pre-payment got
applied to your invoice(s). This can be done manually, but it can also happen
when you have the "Automatically apply payments on posting" option set under
Edit->Preferences->Business.
3. You have an outstanding credit note for this vendor, which got offset (due
to the auto-apply feature in point 2) when you posted your invoice/creditnote
(which ever one you did last).

> > The more interesting question however would be "How did these transactions
> > get paid in the first place ?"
>
>    Yep. That's what I've been trying to answer.

You can find an overview of bills and payments in your Vendor report or on the
invoice report for each paid invoice.

Regards,

Geert