Processing accounts payable

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Feb 8 11:57:35 EST 2017

Op woensdag 8 februari 2017 08:44:08 CET schreef Rich Shepard:
> On Wed, 8 Feb 2017, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > In gnucash checks are not linked to payments at all. The "Print Check"
> > button on the payment dialog is just a convenience to open the check
> > printing dialog with all the payment information filled in based on the
> > payment you are entering in the process payment dialog.
>
> Geert,
>
>    My A/P is messed up. I need to re-read this section in the help and guide
> and see where I went wrong.
>
>    For one thing, in the Chart of Accounts under 2000 Liabilities/2100
> Current Liabilities is 2110 Accounts Payable. It shows $0.00 balance and
> incorrect total from the invoices (bills) I tried entering yesterday, and it
> has an unnumbered sub-account called Accounts Payable with an incorrect
> balance and total equal to that of the 2110 Accounts Payable account. I
> don't understand where the sub-account originated nor where it found the
> number it did. Perhaps reading the manuals will help me.

Did you post all the invoices ? I don't think you can pay unposted invoices
(though you could enter pre-payments).

> > If gnucash indicates the invoices are paid that means a payment was
> > applied in some way. The only ways I know you could get in that state are:
> >
> > 1. you have entered a payment for this invoice directly via the process
> > payment option.
>
>    Not that I explicitly did. I entered the amount owed and posted it.
>
> > 2. You have added a pre-payment for this vendor and this pre-payment got
> > applied to your invoice(s). This can be done manually, but it can also
> > happen when you have the "Automatically apply payments on posting" option
> > set under Edit->Preferences->Business.
>
>    Not deliberately.
>
> > 3. You have an outstanding credit note for this vendor, which got offset
> > (due to the auto-apply feature in point 2) when you posted your
> > invoice/creditnote (which ever one you did last).
>
>    As I added the vendors and their current invoices only yesterday this
> would not have happened.
>
> > You can find an overview of bills and payments in your Vendor report or on
> > the invoice report for each paid invoice.
>
>    I've just tried to find this information. Under Reports->Business is
> Payable Aging (which should have no entries because I added invoices
> yesterday for the first time.) But, it does have incorrect entries.
>
>    Under Business->Vendor I've tried Vendor Overview and Find Vendor but
> cannot obtain a list of open or closed invoices for each or any.

Reports->Business->Vendor Report

>    If there's a way for me to remove all A/P data for the three vendors
> added yesterday please show me how to do this and I'll correctly re-enter
> the four invoices for the three, after reading the manuals.

You can't delete invoices but you can unpost them. All other transactions in
your A/P account can simply be deleted like any other transaction.

The unposted invoices can be recycled and in your case, you can just repost
them without changes as that's how you want them. Posting the invoices will
cause gnucash to create the relevant transactions for them.

Regards,

Geert