A/R: 2 questions

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Feb 8 16:48:49 EST 2017

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017, Rich Shepard wrote:

> Edit->Post invoice. Do I really want to post it? Yes. Entered the invoice
> and due dates; left description blank. I cannot enter anything in the
> 'Post to account' data entry widget; it's not accessible either directly
> or via the combobox arrow. Without an account GnuCash will not let me post
> it. Check mate.

   Pressed the 'New' account button and the account creation dialog box
opened. The only choice in the 'Account Type' window is A/Receivable. I
select that. In the Parent Account window I select Assets->Current
Assets->Accounts Receivable, but GnuCash wants a different account name.
This is where I had before created an A/R sub-account for this client.
Created it again and was able to post the invoice. However, ...

   Accounts Receivable shows no balance or total for this client account.
There is no debit for A/R on the balance sheet report, either.

   So, when I entered the payment yesterday it was against no outstanding
balance. That's possibly why A/R shows up as a credit rather than as a
debit. I did not pre-pay or issue a credit memo, just created a new invoice,
a client A/R account, and posted to that ... supposedly.

   What might I have missed?

Rich