A/R: 2 questions

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Feb 8 16:49:14 EST 2017

Op woensdag 8 februari 2017 13:36:27 CET schreef Rich Shepard:
> On Wed, 8 Feb 2017, Rich Shepard wrote:
> >  I cannot now tell you what I did then. I'll delete the invoice and start
> >
> > over.
>
>    Unposted, deleted invoice.
>
>    Created a new invoice for this client by entering the invoice date,
> description, income account (Accounts Receivable) and unit price (the amount
> owed on this project). Saved it.

Accounts Receivable is not the proper Income Account. You would enter here an
account called something like "Salary", "Sales", whatever. And it should in
this example be an account of *type* Income. The name doesn't matter, the type
does.

>    Edit->Post invoice. Do I really want to post it? Yes. Entered the invoice
> and due dates; left description blank. I cannot enter anything in the 'Post
> to account' data entry widget; it's not accessible either directly or via
> the combobox arrow. Without an account GnuCash will not let me post it.
> Check mate.

This suggests you no longer have an account of *type* A/R. The one you refer
to above is called Accounts Receivable, but isn't of the proper type.

I suspect you had one account of type A/R and have now deleted it. The easiest
way out is to create a new account of type A/R and name it "Accounts
Receivable". In my set of books this is a subaccount of my Assets account,
because in my jurisdiction A/R is considered an asset.

Then before you retry to post your invoice, be sure to select an account of
type income in for each entry. Then you hit Post Invoice. And in the post
dialog that pops up, the A/R account should be pre-selected this time.

Regards,

Geert