A/R: 2 questions

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Feb 8 17:05:58 EST 2017

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017, Geert Janssens wrote:

> Accounts Receivable is not the proper Income Account. You would enter here
> an account called something like "Salary", "Sales", whatever. And it
> should in this example be an account of *type* Income. The name doesn't
> matter, the type does.

Geert/Derek,

   That was the problem. Yes, I have a professional services revenue account.
I think the problem was that I set up the previous bookkeeping software at
the turn of the century and when I enter transactions such as an invoice or
payment the correct account is automatically filled in for me. So, I
overlooked just what account was correct as I start to use GnuCash.

   Just edited the invoice. Posted it to Professional Services income
account. Saved everything. There are $0.00 balanaces in both the
professional services income account and in accounts receivable.

   I open the client account, select the invoice, and press the 'process
payment' button. Choose the checking account for the payment and enter the
date and amount.

   Now A/R and the client A/R sub-account have that amount as a negative
total with the latter having a negative balance in that amount.

Rich