A/R: 2 questions

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Wed Feb 8 16:51:43 EST 2017

On Wednesday, 8 February 2017 13:36:27 GMT Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Feb 2017, Rich Shepard wrote:
> >  I cannot now tell you what I did then. I'll delete the invoice and start
> >
> > over.
>
>    Unposted, deleted invoice.
>
>    Created a new invoice for this client by entering the invoice date,
> description, income account (Accounts Receivable) and unit price (the amount
> owed on this project). Saved it.

Hi Rich.

I'm pretty sure you should be specifying an income account in the invoice
lines - Eg income:Sales or Income:Foobar,  not A/R.

>    Edit->Post invoice. Do I really want to post it? Yes. Entered the invoice
> and due dates; left description blank. I cannot enter anything in the 'Post
> to account' data entry widget; it's not accessible either directly or via
> the combobox arrow. Without an account GnuCash will not let me post it.

If Post Invoice won't select the A/R account, IIRC that probably means that
either the A/R account has the wrong type, or you've got a currency mis-match
somewhere between the client, A/R and invoice.

To check you have a valid A/R account - on the tree view page, highlight the
relevant account then Edit, type should be A/Receivable, and it should
probably be parented by an Asset account.  Not so sure on where to check the
currency settings.

HTH,
Maf.