Invoice with "nested" taxation.

Jean-David Beyer jeandavid8 at verizon.net
Sun Feb 12 16:08:43 EST 2017

On 02/11/2017 11:53 AM, Fabio Coatti wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm starting, after a couple of years, to use again gnucash; however I have
> still the same issue.
> I tried to find a solution (see this thread: http://gnucash.
> 1415818.n4.nabble.com/Invoice-suggestion-tt4677059.html ) but I'm still
> missing a bit to have it working.
> Description of the situation:
> regulations require that the invoice is composed in this way:
> Description A - Amount A
> Description B - Amount B
>
> Then, when describing the taxes, the printout should be something like this:
> TaxOne: C = 4%A+4%B (so far so good, no problems)
> TaxTwo: D = 22%A+22%B+22%C (ouch! it needs the value C)
> TaxThree: E = -(20%A+20%B) (ok, no problem also here)
>
> e.g.:
> Apples € 10
> Wine € 20
> =======
> Sum: € 30
> TaxOne(C): 1,20
> SumOne: 31,20
> TaxTwo(D): 6,86
> SumTwo: 38,06
> TaxThree(E): -6
> TotalAmount: 32,06
>
> IIRC the problem is that taxTwo, that needs to be recorded in a specific
> account, is computed also using the value of taxOne (C). So I found no way to
> address this, also looking at the scm templates, I think because of this
> loophole. (or maybe I simply not understood the hints in above thread)
>
> Is there a way to accomplish the computation and print the layout shown above?
> If not, I can try to modify the code itself, in this case a suggestion on how
> to start would be great.

Long ago, when I was in college, the father of a fellow-student was a
tax attorney. At the time, the father had a client in State 1 who was
considered a tax payer also by State 2. Each state allowed a tax
deduction for taxes paid in the other state, and he was having trouble
because if he figured out state 1 tax ignoring State 2, he only then had
the date needed to figure out the taxes in State 2. And only once he
figured out the taxes in State 2 did he have the date he needed to fill
out the taxes in state 1, rinse and repeat.

The son, my fellow student, was a math major, and suggested he figure it
out by taking limits of the series and see what happened. The tax return
so confused the taxing agencies that neither protested it.

  /V\  PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B Registered Machine  1935521.
 /( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey    http://linuxcounter.net
 ^^-^^ 15:55:02 up 4 days, 4:05, 2 users, load average: 4.73, 4.73, 4.64