Process payment of employee vouchers

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Feb 14 12:14:22 EST 2017

Hi,

iulian dragos <jaguarul at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am using Gnucash to manage a small business. We often have employee
> expenses that need to be reimbursed, but I can't find a way to associate an
> employee voucher to an actual payment *that was imported from my bank*.
>
> - I see the employee voucher expense in Accounts Payable
> - I download and import statements from the bank
> - the payment appears in my Checking Account

What is the "other account" from the transaction you imported?  My guess
is that you're assigning it to an Expense account instead of your A/P
account.

If you assign it to your A/P account you can then assign it to the
Employee.

> Here's what I tried:
>
> - right-click and "Assign as Payment" on the imported transaction. This
> dialog will try to find a "Vendor", not employees, so I can't select the
> voucher
> - "Process payments". This adds a new transaction in my checking account so
> now I have two for the same sum
> - Manually set the imported transaction to "Accounts Payable". However,
> this does not associate it to the expense voucher, and the "Bills due
> reminder" keeps showing the payed vouchers.
>
> What is the best way to handle such payments? Maybe of note: these vouchers
> usually have several entries for different expense accounts.

It's POSSIBLE that even after you assign the transaction to A/P that
Assign as Payment might not allow you to assign to an employee.  In that
case, you will have to change your work flow.  Specifically, you will
need to process payment for the employee (adding the transaction into
your Checking account), and then import the account *after* that and
mark the payment as a duplicate.