Merging data.

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 03:40:09 EST 2017

On 14 February 2017 at 22:59, Nelson Handcock <nelson.handcock at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've recently set up my gnucash file on dropbox. With the dropbox app
> installed (windows 10), I simply open the file from the dropbox folder in
> Explorer, and I can see all the regular incremental backups being created
> in the dropbox folder (on the internet and in Windows) perfectly fine.
>
> The dropbox app seems to handle syncronising the file perfectly fine -
> every time I log on to my PC, the dropbox app starts and checks the
> contents of the the dropbox folder on the internet.
>
> I am expecting another person with access to the same dropbox folder (via
> the app) to be accessing the same gnucash file - they should be able to
> update it and I expect when I next turn on my PC it will be synch with the
> more up to date file from the dropbox folder on the internet.
>
> That way, you'd only need to copy your file onto your USB drive even now
> and then as a "off site" backup for disaster recovery - how often you do it
> is up to you.

Just make sure that you don't both edit it at the same time, there is
a time window during which if you both start editing it the lock will
not be locked as it has not had time to sync the lock file. Also be
particularly careful if you edit it when offline to make sure you
definitely have the latest version and make sure you go online and
resync before the other person edits it.

Colin