Payroll Question

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Wed Feb 15 15:46:20 EST 2017

I was waiting for someone to jump in but not, so here goes.

Assuming you are in the United States, and therefore have similar
payroll reporting as we have (SF Bay Area), you will need the following
accounts:

Cash (in Bank)
Payroll Taxes Expense Account
Liabilities
   Federal Income Tax Withholding
   State Income Tax Withholding
   Social Security Withholding
   Medicare Withholding
   State Disability (CA) Withholding

Events:
Write a paycheck:
   CR Cash (Amount of net check)
   DR Salaries
   CR Fed Inc Tax With
   CR State Inc Tax With
   CR Social Security With
   CR Medicate Withholding
   CR State Disability Insurance With

Pay the withholding and your "share" to the IRS and State
   CR Cash
   DR State Unemployment Insurance Expense (Payroll Expense Account)
   DR FUTA (Fed Unemployment Insurance) (Payroll Expense Account)
   DR Fed Inc Tax With
   DR State Inc Tax With
   DR Social Security With
   DR Medicare With
   DR State Disability With
   DR Social Security Tax (Payroll Expense Account)
   DR Medicare Tax (Payroll Expense Account)

I think I got it all.

John