Payroll Question

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 16 10:49:16 EST 2017

Hi Melissa,

Melissa lutz <sweet_mel_lisa at hotmail.com> writes:

> I am very new to GnuCash and I have no idea how to add in employee
> payrolls. I looked at the website but I'm assuming it's outdated
> because there is no increase or decrease columns, just expense and
> rebate. the split transaction is also very confusing and not doing
> exactly what i want it to. Do you have advice for me on how I should
> be adding this information? I'm learning this all from scratch. There
> were also no youtube tutorials on it.

GnuCash has no direct payroll support.  The Employee business features
are only designed for expense reimbursements, not payroll.

You can still use GnuCash to *account* for payroll transactions, but you
will need to perform the payroll computations (withholdings, etc) out of
band and just use GnuCash to keep track of it.

Having said that, you would need to provide much more detail about what
you are trying to do, how you tried to do it, and how (you feel) gnucash
is misbehaving or not doing what you want... And then we can try to walk
you through the process of entering in the transactions in a way GnuCash
will be happy with.

Hope this helps,