GnuCash import from Quicken 2007 on OSX

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 16 10:46:42 EST 2017

Dan,

Dan Ems <DanEms at enkito.com> writes:

> Derek is absolutely correct.
>
> I did find references that appear necessary if I am to convert my Quicken
> 2007 for OSx data to GnuCash.
>
> I have not been able to track down where I saw them.
> At the time, I was thrashing around trying to get registered for the GnuCash
> forum.

GnuCash does not run a Forum.  We run a Mailing List
(gnucash-user at gnucash.org) which you can subscribe to at
The Nabble "forums" are a third-party service and not connected, run-by,
maintained, or managed by anyone on the GnuCash team.

> <aside>
>     I'm still unsure of the intended use pattern for this service.
>     I worked in IT for 40 years starting with magnetic donut memory and 14"
> disks that held 256K.
>     I ended in 0.99999 uptime electric utility operations and support.
>     Leaving that environment was calming, but it has been a few years since
> I spent
>         14 hrs/day at a keyboard and have never worked with nabble before.
> <end aside>

No clue!  I don't use Nabble.

> If anyone knows about the scripts I encountered, would they point me in the
> right direction.
> I've done a fair amount with Perl, but basically nothing with Python.
> I've not knowingly worked with JSON and the second script mentioned a JSON
> formatted config file.
>
> At that point, I concentrated on the nabble registration.

I'd ignore nabble and instead subscribe to the list directly!

As for the scripts; if you can show us a QIF transaction with a Class
maybe I can help you translate it into a Category --- and then from
there we might be able to help you write a script (in whatever language
you want) that would perform the translations.