GnuCash import from Quicken 2007 on OSX

dbowen DanEms at enkito.com
Tue Feb 21 14:39:12 EST 2017

The last responder asked for examples of my class name usage in Quicken 2007 for OS X.

Usage started organically when I discovered some changes were necessary in my initial Quicken2007 structure.
The IRS demanded that I record some expenses separately for my wife and I.
I also bought another vehicle which demanded that category structure change.
Rather than adding IDs in the category path, I added classes to the end of the entries needing changes.
This was done partly to make the additional detail easy to enter.
Also, any changes to existing data only required adding a /<Class> tag to a transaction.
[ I did not want to add text in the middle of a category string. That seemed fraught. ]

So,
Auto:Fuel became Auto:Fuel/ACamry -or- Auto:Fuel/ASienna as required.
[ The A's grouped the like classes together for Autos ]
--and--
Med:Doctor could become Med:Doctor/DJB or Med:Doctor/SLB as needed

I could still report on all things with any of a list of Classes or Categories to get totals for a given combination of category & class.

I will enclose a *.pdf of my class list from Quicken.

Please pay no attention to the [Tax Copies] entry in the enclosure, that was never used.
Quicken tax reporting never allowed me to specify a line item destination precisely, so I never used it.