Stylesheets, I'm having trouble editing them

lejohnston lejohnston at dccnet.com
Sun Feb 26 22:56:37 EST 2017

I am new to GNUCash. I started using it earlier this month. I am using it for personal finance. So far I have been able to get most things set up to my satisfaction. Accounts are good. Budget is good. It is reports where I am running into problems.

I have been able find reports that meet my needs but the style sheets available are hard to read.

I tried editing one in >Edit>Style Sheets, and accidentally changed the Default Style Sheet. It actually works better for me than the original but I did not want to get rid of the Default Style Sheet. I tried to replicate the new 'Default Style Sheet' by going >Edit>Style Sheets>New. I saved the new style sheet as 'Border' because the one I had accidentally created had borders. I changed the style options to the same as I had in the new 'Default' style sheet. Now I have a style sheet named 'Border' but it does not have borders.

As far as I can see the key things I changed are in the 'General' tab, where I changed 'Table cell padding to '4' and 'Table cell border' to '4'.

I have opened and closed the reports, applied the new style sheet, even opened and closed GNUCash to see if that was necessary to apply the new Style Sheet.

I also did this in a file I had saved as 'test' in case I made changes that I did not want. When I opened my original 'Larry2017' the new 'Default' stylesheet was there too. Which is not a big problem because I sort of like it, but was not what I expected.

I have read everything I can find in the Wiki, Tutorials, and list archives but nothing seems to address this matter in a way I can understand it.

Basically I want to create a couple of new Style Sheets that make the reports easier to read. I was hoping to do this by better aligning the columns, putting more space between the columns and possibly putting grids and/or borders around the cells and/or tables. I am not looking for beauty, just a bit more readability. I suppose I could expert to Excel but if it can be done in GNUCash that would be preferable.

Since I accidentally came close to doing what I wanted, I would like to understand the process better and hopefully refine it.

Also can I get the original 'Default' style sheet back?

Thanks,

Larry