How To Stop GnuCash from Saying It Cannot Find a Specific File

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Mon Feb 27 17:37:11 EST 2017

On 2/27/2017 4:07 PM, Bored Accountant wrote:
> So I'm brand new to GnuCash. I created a test company in order to play around
> with GnuCash, and to see what features it offers as well as learn how to use
> it. Well, I no longer needed the test company, so I deleted the files
> directly from the folder where they were stored. Now, whenever I open
> GnuCash, I get an error message that says that "GnuCash cannot find file
> [insert filename here]". I take it I was supposed to delete the test file
> from within GnuCash itself? Well, now that I've deleted the file the "wrong"
> way, does anyone know how to get GnuCash to stop throwing the error message?
>
> Thank you for your help!
>
> -Dave
The default is for gnucash to try to open the file last opened (and in
your case, that no longer exists). You can't get back to the original
state of never having opened gnucash before.

But you CAN tell gnucash to open "nofile" (which is what many of us who
are keeping several different books do since the "last one open" is
probably NOT the one we want to open.

Michael D Novack