How To Stop GnuCash from Saying It Cannot Find a Specific File

Bored Accountant ddoak at student.morainepark.edu
Tue Feb 28 16:50:45 EST 2017

Mike or Penny Novack-3 wrote
> The default is for gnucash to try to open the file last opened (and in
> your case, that no longer exists). You can't get back to the original
> state of never having opened gnucash before.
>
> But you CAN tell gnucash to open "nofile" (which is what many of us who
> are keeping several different books do since the "last one open" is
> probably NOT the one we want to open.
>
> Michael D Novack

No offence, but that seems like bad programming. For example, in the
Audacity audio editing program, when you move or delete a project and then
click the "Open" menu function, Audacity will throw the error that it cannot
find the file, *but then Audacity will remove the project from the "Recent"
menu*. And that's not the only piece of software that will account for
people deleting or moving files. In fact, most software will not only have
"failsafe" code programed into the software to specifically handle these
types of situations; but will even give you the option to delete files from
within the software thus avoiding the situation altogether. I noticed that
GnuCash doesn't even have an option to delete files from within the
software. Again, this seems like bad programming.

Now yes, I fully understand this is free software and I shouldn't complain
too harshly; but this seems like plain-old "common sense" to me. How could
the developers leave such a glaring bug in the software? Also, to address
your comment of "You can't get back to the original state of never having
opened gnucash before.", my question to that is "Why not?" Why can't GnuCash
just open to "grey" if it can't find the proper files? Other software, such
as Sage 50, does just that. I personally think that the developers should
seriously consider such "common sense" programming. Again, I understand that
this is free and open-source software. However, I do not think the
developers should use that as an excuse for lazy programing. Just my two
cents.

-----
Teens think listening to music helps them concentrate. It doesn't. It relieves them of the boredom that concentration on homework induces. -Marilyn vos Savant