How To Stop GnuCash from Saying It Cannot Find a Specific File

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 17:07:51 EST 2017

On 28 February 2017 at 21:50, Bored Accountant
<ddoak at student.morainepark.edu> wrote:

> Now yes, I fully understand this is free software and I shouldn't complain
> too harshly; but this seems like plain-old "common sense" to me. How could
> the developers leave such a glaring bug in the software? Also, to address
> your comment of "You can't get back to the original state of never having
> opened gnucash before.", my question to that is "Why not?" Why can't GnuCash
> just open to "grey" if it can't find the proper files? Other software, such
> as Sage 50, does just that. I personally think that the developers should
> seriously consider such "common sense" programming. Again, I understand that
> this is free and open-source software. However, I do not think the
> developers should use that as an excuse for lazy programing. Just my two
> cents.

I am sure that the developers are eagerly looking forward to receiving
your patches to make these improvements to the software.

I am sure they will not be at all concerned by being called lazy
whilst voluntarily giving up their leisure time to write free software
for you and the rest of us to use.

It is all a matter of priorities. Are the changes you request more
important than fixing bugs, making changes to allow the s/w to keep
working on new versions of Windows and other operating systems. and
adding major new features to the s/w?

Also it is no good suggesting that it should never have been written
like that in the first place. Even if you are correct the developers
that wrote it are likely long gone so it is nothing to do with the
current developers.

Colin