Reconciling trading accounts to show unrealized gains at year end

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Tue Jan 3 18:41:03 EST 2017

See below.

> On Dec 31, 2016, at 2:27 AM, peripatetic <gaute.ellingsen at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> I note that when using trading accounts, my balance sheet will display the
> portfolio at market value. However, I would prefer separating out the
> unrealized gains also on the balance sheet.

I don’t think this has anything to do with trading accounts.  The balance sheet will get the value of the stock from the price data base using the mechanism (latest, nearest in time, etc.) that you specify in the report options.

> Previously I have simply done the calculations manually, but it would be
> great if there was a more elegant way of going about this using GNUCash's
> trading accounts.

I don’t think trading accounts are the way to do this, but I’m not sure how it should be done.

           Mike