Reconciling trading accounts to show unrealized gains at year end

Gaute Ellingsen gaute.ellingsen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 23:55:24 EST 2017

Thanks for the reply, Mike. I think you're right that it might be difficult
to use trading accounts for what I aim to do. I really like how trading
accounts will give me a mark-to-market snapshot at any point of time, but
for regulatory reasons I also need to close the books annually and
explicitly state both realized and unrealized gains on the P&L. Trading
accounts will give me all the information I need: as you point out the
balance sheet will show the market value, and the net trading account will
equal my unrealized gains. What I would need in addition is a way to net
out the trading account (debit trading acct, credit 'unrealized gains') at
year end while also displaying the stock portfolio at cost on the balance
sheet. As far as I can tell, that's not possible, so I might need to redo
the accounts without trading accounts. That's a shame, as I'm sure I'm not
the only one who would like to use trading accounts but also close the
books at year end.