How safe is GnuCash?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jan 12 18:52:56 EST 2017

On Fri, 13 Jan 2017, 70147persson at telia.com wrote:

> You possibly do not have to close the books but take snapshots and saving
> them on a suitable media, which is locked in at a reserved place. At
> responsible companies this a procedure applied for all kinds of documents
> as a part of the daily back up work. Here also are taken into
> consideration selecting this place in another firezone. So this is nothing
> special for the book keeping security.

   Here's the solution: git. This is version control software (like CSV,
Subversion, Mercurial, etc.) and would be ideal for this. It's F/OSS and you
can download it at <https://git-scm.com/>. I use it for all development
projects and documents like books, major reports, and collaborative works
with colleages. In the last instance they can also commit changes to the git
repository so we're all working with the latest version.

   Set up the repository in the directory with your bookkeeping data. Then,
daily (or at whatever time is appropriate) run 'git add <data_filename>'
followed by 'git commit -M "<Explaination of changes>" and the differences
from one commitment to the next are stored. You can always revert to an
earlier version, or look at any particular version you want.

   There's pro-git.pdf (8M) that's downloadable from the Web.

Rich