How safe is GnuCash?

Buddha Buck blaisepascal at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 22:25:33 EST 2017

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 6:54 PM Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

>    Here's the solution: git. This is version control software (like CSV,
> Subversion, Mercurial, etc.) and would be ideal for this. It's F/OSS and
> you
> can download it at <https://git-scm.com/>. I use it for all development
> projects and documents like books, major reports, and collaborative works
> with colleages. In the last instance they can also commit changes to the
> git
> repository so we're all working with the latest version.
>
>    Set up the repository in the directory with your bookkeeping data. Then,
> daily (or at whatever time is appropriate) run 'git add <data_filename>'
> followed by 'git commit -M "<Explaination of changes>" and the differences
> from one commitment to the next are stored. You can always revert to an
> earlier version, or look at any particular version you want.

Git solves the wrong problem here.

Git makes it easy to preserve many versions of a file, and also to make
branches of versions of a file, but it doesn't provide a way to protect or
detect the actions of a malfeasor making illicit changes to the file.

GnuCash does produce copious .log files in normal operation. Those do
provide a potential way to hook into an audit trail, since the information
recorded there does include when a transaction was created, edited, and
deleted.