moving data

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 13 01:39:36 EST 2017

Gomer,
Sorry to hear about the disk crash. That definitely falls under the "sucks" category.
Please take a look at the Guide,  chapter 2.5 (https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/basics-files1.html) for information about gnucash's file locations.
HTH, David

  On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 11:14, Gomer Thomas<gomerthomas at cgomert.com> wrote:   I recently had a partial disk crash which made my desktop computer
unbootable, but almost all the data on the disk was still readable. I
had a new disk and a new copy of the operating system installed on the
machine, and I am in the process of reinstalling applications and moving
data to the new disk.

The GnuCash data on the old disk appears to be in a folder
C:\Users\Gomer\.gnucash (where "Gomer" is my user name). That folder
contains subfolders named "books" and "checks" and files named
"accelerator-map", "expressions-2.0", "qif-accounts-map" and
"sytlesheets-2.0". The "qif-accounts-map" file appears to contain the
actual data -- judging from its size, and by looking at it in WordPad. I
don't know the file extensions of any of the files. For some reason the
file extensions don't show in Windows Explorer, even when I turn on View
-> File Name Extensions.

Windows Explorer wouldn't let me create a file named ".gnucash" on the
new disk -- claimed it is not a valid file name - but if I started up
GnuCash and then exited it, it created a ".gnucash" folder. I then
cleared out that folder and  transferred the folders and files from the
".gnucash" folder on the old disk into this ".gnucash" folder on the new
disk. However, when I started up GnuCash again, it got to the point
where it said "loading data" on the status bar at the bottom, and then
it popped up the error message "No suitable backend was found for
C:\Users\Gomer\.gnucash\qif-accounts-map". When I dismissed the error
message and looked at the GnuCash display, there was no data there -- no
Accounts, no nothing.

I wasn't sure at first if the message meant that I did something wrong,
or that there is something wrong with the file, or that there is
something wrong with the GnuCash installation,  but I downloaded and
installed the latest 2.6.15 release to be on the safe side. It produced
the same behavior. I also tried starting GnuCash and opening the
"qif-accounts-map" file. I got the same error message.

The file looks OK to the naked eye -- starts with the lines
        ;;; qif-accounts-map
        ;;; Automatically generated by GnuCash. DO NOT EDIT.

and ends with the lines
        ;;; GnuCash separator used in these mappings
        ":"

Can anyone tell me what is going wrong, and what I can do to recover?

I am running Windows 10 on an HP Pavilion desktop PC.

Best regards, Gomer

--
Gomer Thomas
9810 132nd St NE