GnuCash is safe. Was re: How safe is GnuCash?

Robert Kesterson robertk at robertk.com
Sat Jan 14 08:38:43 EST 2017

I agree, the feature requested isn’t present in GnuCash.  However,
that does NOT mean that GnuCash is “not safe”.  My concern is that
people who are looking for an accounting program will fire up their
search engines and see only cursory bits and pieces of this discussion
and think “Oh my goodness — GnuCash isn’t safe!” When that
simply isn’t true.

GnuCash is as safe as any other accounting program, and there is no
inherent danger in using it.  If additional security steps are necessary
in special circumstances, these are best taken at the operating system
level and through external access and audit management protocols.  This
is true of just about every other software system as well.

The question really isn’t “is GnuCash safe?”, but “does GnuCash
have features I need for my auditors”.  And the answer to the latter
question is, simply, no.