A crucial GNUCash feature that is missing, but easy to implement for budgets

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 17 07:29:43 EST 2017

Geert,

Thanks for explaining this to me.

Here is my update:

1) I added the gettext line to ytd-budget.scm,
2) I stored the file in ~/Library/Application Support/Gnucash/reports (the usual location for a Mac)
3) I double checked that ~/Library/Application Support/Gnucash/config.user pointed to the file.
3) I restarted GnuCash.

The report failed to display, so I rebooted and tried again, again without success.

So, then I put the file in /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/share/gnucash/scm/gnucash/report/standard-reports (which had caused GnuCash to crash previously), and with THIS setup, I see YTD Budget in the budget report tab.

So, this has successfully loaded the custom report. However, this solution is problematic, insofar as it means that the next update will clobber this report. And it doesn’t explain why the documented method for adding a custom report only works in a smattering of systems.

David