Confused on a split deposit transaction with cash back

prl prl at ozemail.com.au
Wed Jan 18 21:10:02 EST 2017

At that resolution, I can't really make out what the transactions are.
And perhaps it's for the best. I'd be reluctant to post a full page of
my personal accounting information like that. Try editing it down to
just show the relevant transactions, and post it in a higher resolution.

In any case, the question to ask is "where is that $100 going": it must
go into some account.

I use a Wallet Asset account for our personal cash holdings. Cash (from
any source) goes into the Wallet account (and cash spending comes out of
it). So that's where that $100 would go in my account setup. It means I
can keep track of cash spending as well as transactions from our banking
accounts.

For business accounting, the cash account might be "Petty cash" or "Cash
in hand" or similar.

If you don't want to keep a Wallet Asset account or similar, you'll need
a "Cash I can't be bothered accounting for" Expense account. The $100
(and any other things like ATM withdrawals) could go into that. What
account to you put ATM withdrawals into, anyway?

Peter