Confused on a split deposit transaction with cash back

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Thu Jan 19 11:44:11 EST 2017

On 1/18/2017 4:44 PM, kaloa wrote:
> I'm very new to both accounting and Gnucash, I can not get this to
> work....I've got 2 seperate checks, with 100 cash taken at time of deposit.
>
> bonus check for         667.63
> regular paycheck for 1032.98
> Total                       1700.61
> Cashback                  100.00
>
> If I use the 1700.61 total without accounting for the cashback, I'm 100 off
> in my register, the bank only shows 1600.61 as the actual deposit..how to
> account for the 100 cash? The 100 cash keeps popping into both columns..
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4689022/Screenshot_2017-01-18_15.png>
>

> For now I've given up on sorting it and just put in a 1600.61 deposit

New to both, expect to find entering "two way split" transactions tricky
(split on BOTH the debit and the credit side).

The easiest way to do THIS one.
a) Enter this in the checking account for the amount of the deposit
(1600.61). Split rather than enter)
b) Change the amount of the credit to 667.63 and income account "bonus
pay" enter.
c) Change the Imbalance amount (credit 932.98) to 1032.98 and account
"regular pay", enter.
d) There will now be an Imbalance debit amount of $100. Make the account
whatever you use for cash, enter

Michael