Saving data files on XFS file system

darthbrader brader at ieee.org
Fri Jan 20 20:59:54 EST 2017

Hi all,

I get various errors when trying to read or write XML data files to an XFS
filesystem.  Has anyone else seen this?  I haven't found anything in the
archives.  The simplest way I found to reproduce it is this:

1) Run gnucash --nofile --debug
2) Make a new file if necessary, then Select File -> Save As...
3) Navigate to XFS save location, pick a name, hit OK

No error pops up in this case, but the file is not saved and no file is
created.  Here is what shows up in the debug log:

* 20:31:16  INFO <gnc.backend> [gnc_determine_file_type]  new file
* 20:31:16  INFO <qof.session> [qof_session_load_backend]  selected GnuCash
File Backend Version 2
* 20:31:16  WARN <gnc.backend> [xml_session_begin()] Couldn't find directory
for /home/derek/tmp/gc_test_xml_xfs.gnucash
* 20:31:16  INFO <qof.session> [qof_session_begin] Done running
session_begin on backend
* 20:31:16  INFO <gnc.backend> [gnc_determine_file_type]  new file
* 20:31:16  INFO <qof.session> [qof_session_load_backend]  selected GnuCash
File Backend Version 2
* 20:31:16  WARN <gnc.backend> [xml_session_begin()] Couldn't find directory
for /home/derek/tmp/gc_test_xml_xfs.gnucash
* 20:31:16  INFO <qof.session> [qof_session_begin] Done running
session_begin on backend

I am also unable to read an existing XML data file on the XFS filesystem.  I
get the pop-up message "No suitable backend was found."  If I copy this file
to another filesystem, it opens fine.

This behavior is limited to the XML backend.  Saving and reading Sqlite3
files works fine in the same directory.  I can also read and write XML files
just fine on other filesystems (I've tried EXT4 and BTRFS (and HFS on my Mac
system)).

Doubt it's related, but the XFS filesystem is on a 4-disk RAID5 array, which
is mounted on /home.

I'm getting this behavior running GC 2.6.15 on Ubuntu Xenial (16.04).  I'm
using the gnucash package from the GetDeb repository.

Many thanks,
-Derek