Vanguard downloads

Andrew Gross biz.aeg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 21:32:35 EST 2017

David,

Wanted to do a fair amount of additional testing before I wrote back...

I have tried two different tracks of testing...

1) Manually downloading QFX files.  For each mutual fund I setup the
security account, the income account, the cap short gains account and the
cap long gains account.  I downloaded a specific time range -- starting
with just one month for simplicity -- and tried uploading.  I had to map
the QFX accounts to the gnucash accounts before each upload; there doesn't
seem to be a facility for remembering mapping.  It seemed straightforward
except that the first account to map is called the "OFX account" and the
second account is the "security account".  I don't know what the difference
is between an OFX account and a security account; I used the security
account for both.   Income was downloaded the income accounts perfectly.
But cap gains are ignored.  Actually, gnucash didn't ask for a mapping to
the cap gains accounts.

2) Automatic downloads via AQBanking.  In setting up the online wizard, I
can connect to Vanguard OK but for mutual funds the account I login with is
a master account number, not the number of the mutual fund so the mapping
doesn't make sense.  Just to test, I created a new account just for the
master account and nothing downloaded but I didn't expect it would.

At this point, I am having a problem determing 1) if I am asking gnucash to
do something it wasn't meant to do 2) Vanguard's data is somehow
incompatible or 3) I am not configuring gnucash properly.

I am continuing to google search on things like "vanguard" and "gnucash".

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew Gross
m 646.204.5819