Importing many transfers between accounts in different currencies

Tim Hume tim at nomuka.com
Sat Jan 21 21:27:24 EST 2017

Hi everyone,

I'm using GnuCash to do the accounts for a small money transfer
business. Customers in Australia send Australian dollars (AUD) to be
collected by their family in the form of Tongan Pa'anga (TOP).

I'm using version 2.6.11 and have trading accounts enabled.

I've worked out how to manually enter transfers between an Australian
bank account and a Tongan bank account, along with the exchange rate.
This seems to work correctly. Now I want to know how/if I can
automatically import hundreds of such transfers from data I have in a
spreadsheet (Google Sheets). It's easy enough to import transfers which
go between accounts with the same currency - I wrote some Google
scripts which exported the relevant information in QIF format. I even
manually created some OFX files to try this format for importing.

What I can't work out how to do is create QIF or OFX files which
describe a transfer from my Australian bank account to my Tongan
account (or vice versa). I don't think QIF can handle multiple
currencies - OFX can, but I'm not sure if GnuCash's importer can deal
with such transactions or not?

I'm starting to think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and type all
these transactions in manually. But if anyone knows if international
transfers can be automatically imported, this would  save me much time,
and probably errors too.

Thanks,

Tim.