Importing many transfers between accounts in different currencies

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sun Jan 22 15:07:56 EST 2017

Op zondag 22 januari 2017 13:27:24 CET schreef Tim Hume:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm using GnuCash to do the accounts for a small money transfer
> business. Customers in Australia send Australian dollars (AUD) to be
> collected by their family in the form of Tongan Pa'anga (TOP).
>
> I'm using version 2.6.11 and have trading accounts enabled.
>
> I've worked out how to manually enter transfers between an Australian
> bank account and a Tongan bank account, along with the exchange rate.
> This seems to work correctly. Now I want to know how/if I can
> automatically import hundreds of such transfers from data I have in a
> spreadsheet (Google Sheets). It's easy enough to import transfers which
> go between accounts with the same currency - I wrote some Google
> scripts which exported the relevant information in QIF format. I even
> manually created some OFX files to try this format for importing.
>
> What I can't work out how to do is create QIF or OFX files which
> describe a transfer from my Australian bank account to my Tongan
> account (or vice versa). I don't think QIF can handle multiple
> currencies - OFX can, but I'm not sure if GnuCash's importer can deal
> with such transactions or not?
>
> I'm starting to think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and type all
> these transactions in manually. But if anyone knows if international
> transfers can be automatically imported, this would  save me much time,
> and probably errors too.

Hi,

Lots of questions about importing lately :)

I have never used the ofx importer. From a cursory look at the code however it
appears to be capable of handling multi-currency transactions.

The current csv importer can't. However the next major gnucash version will
have a rewored csv importer that will be able to handle multi-currency
transactions as well. This next version is planned for 2018 only. So if you
want to go the csv route, you'll need some patience still...

Regards,

Geert