Importing accounts/data as CSV

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Mon Jan 23 11:38:45 EST 2017

Op maandag 23 januari 2017 07:36:35 CET schreef Rich Shepard:
> On Thu, 5 Jan 2017, John Ralls wrote:
> > It is limited in that it cannot handle transactions with more than two
> > splits. Because the GnuCash CSV exporter *does* support more than two
> > splits per transaction it has multiple lines per transaction and so can't
> > round-trip back into GnuCash.
>
> John,
>
>    I'm confused by the above and would like you to clarify it for me. I have
> only one monthly transaction with more than two splits: my mortgage
> payment. It has three splits: principal, interest, and escrow.
>
>    If GnuCash CSV exporter supports more than two splits per transactions
> why can it import only two splits (i.e., multiple lines) per transaction?

Rich,

That is solely for historical reasons. The csv importer was written first and
has had this limitation from the beginning. Later someone contributed an
export to csv option which can write multi-split transactions (meaning more
than 2 splits) to a csv file. Such a csv file however can't be imported in
gnucash again because the csv importer (which is older) can't handle it.

In gnucash 2.8, this will change. The csv importer has been rewritten and one
of the new capabilities is it will now be able to handle multi-split
transactions.

Regards,

Geert