Gold as Commodity?

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Thu Jan 26 09:40:56 EST 2017

On 1/25/2017 3:26 PM, GWB wrote:
> Hello, Lane,
>

> The earlier replies from Tuomo, John and Plutocrat might point you in
> a better direction, that is, treating Gold as a currency.  I would be
> interested as well if that were possible.  It would be less accurate,
> but easier, than using a Forex account to determine the value of gold
> (or silver, bitcoin, etc.).
>
> Anyone else have ideas on this?
>
> Gordon

Yes I do. The fact that gnucash has the facility for treating SOME forms
of a "commodity" that is a "currency" in some other jurisdiction than
the one for which the books are being kept differently than other forms
of a "commodity" that are less easily converted seems to me to be
confusing the issue in accounting terms.

Yes, there are people who consider "gold" or "bitcoins" to be
"currency",  but this is more in the sense that more easily traded than
say a share in one of those large stone disks on Yap or cows << I mean
not in the sense of meat on the hoof but in the sense of those societies
where those are the only "currency" for a purpose like a marriage
contract >>

In other words, I would argue that for a set of books (whether kept by
gnucash, other software, pen and ink on paper, etc.) there would be ONE
"currency" << the one that is legal tender for the jurisdiction >> and
anything else a "commodity" holding. Yes of course, foreign currency,
gold, bitcoins, etc. might be more easily traded/converted than other
commodities, but that is a continuum of ease of trading, not a sharp
line distinction.

How would we propose to draw the line? What would be the basis of that
line? That there was some official "quote"? But would conversion
transactions necessarily be taking place at that quoted exchange rate?
My personal experience (limited as it might be, just in Canada) is that
not always the case, though the differences in that case relatively
small. But friends who have traveled to remote parts of the world have
told me that there could be huge differences between the "official rate"
and what their US dollars might fetch on "the street".

Michael D Novack

Michael