Gold as Commodity?

GWB gwb at 2realms.com
Fri Jan 27 17:24:27 EST 2017

Lane,

What John describes does come very close to tracking the value of
physical gold in gnucash, which is actually quite impressive for an
open source project dedicated to the main features of gnucash.  If you
follow the instructions at:

http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/invest-stockprice1.html#invest-stockprice-auto2

you can have gnucash retrieve quotes from a number of exchanges.
After setting this up on ubuntu, I can see the following:

$ sudo ./gnc-fq-dump

Usage: ./gnc-fq-dump <quote-source> [-v] <stock> [<stock> ...]

Available sources are:
     australia amfiindia asia fool adig yahoo hustock yahoo_brasil...

and many other quote sources.  So it can work, but it takes some
effort to set it up.

I don't know how each jurisdiction handles these things, but I don't
doubt that Michael has it right that in most, if not all of them,
books kept in more than one currency would create a number of problems
(though I do like the old stone currency system in Yap; not entirely
immune to inflation, but very low rate of theft).  So gnucash can do
this, but you should give some consideration as to how you are going
to treat gold for accounting and tax purposes.  If it is an asset,
then you may have to account for it on "cost basis", that is,
appreciation or depreciation from time acquired until time disposed.
If you're in the US, that means figuring out long term and short term
gains and losses.  If you're in a commonwealth country like Canada or
a possession of the UK, then you probably have a more rationale system
than the U.S.

Currencies are treated differently in the U.S. than assets,
commodities, and equities.  In the simplest scenario, they are just
that, currencies, regardless of appreciation or depreciation against
other currencies (USD, CAD, etc.).  But the rules may have changed,
and not for the better.  Forex contracts with a "collar" are more
complicated, but still treated differently than capital gains and
losses.

But I don't know enough to give advice on this, and I'm not qualified
to do so, as an accountant or tax lawyer would be.  So perhaps you
could get gnucash working with quotes as John describes, and then
figure out the reporting aspects later.

Gordon