import problems

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Wed Jul 5 12:53:39 EDT 2017

Hi,

On Wed, July 5, 2017 12:35 pm, Roderick Averill wrote:
> I'm trying to import data from my bank. I've tried both QIF format and csv
> format.
>
> The QIF file is !Type:Bank and it appears to process fine, but I cannot
> find the data in my journal.

Okay, a few questions:

0) I'm assuming you went through the full import and it gave you a bunch
of questions along the way which you answered, and then finished the
import?
1) What's the file name of the qif file (e.g. Foo.qif)?
2) During the QIF import, to what GnuCash account do you map the QIF
Account "Foo" (where "Foo" is the name from #1)?
3) Assuming you did not map "Foo", do you see a top-level account named
"Foo" in your chart of accounts?

> I then tried a csv file, but after adding column names, and importing,
> gnucash crashes!!!!

What version of GnuCash?  It shouldn't crash, so any crasher is a bug.

> I'm running on a macbook.
>
> I'm a new user, so I needs some help in debugging this import problem I'm
> having..
>
> Thanks
>
> Snippet of qif file:
> !Type:Cash in Bank - 1st Bank 5343
> D05/01/2017
> T88.5-
> NVISA
> PVISA KING SOOPERS 6000 S. HOLL GREENWOOD VIL CO ON 04-30 5102
> ^

Is this actually the QIF?  I don't think the " in Bank - 1st Bank 5343" is
allowed, so the importer might not like that.  But I could be wrong.

> First row of csv file:
> 5/1/17	VISA KING SOOPERS 6000 S. HOLL GREENWOOD VIL CO ON 04-30
> 5102	VISA	-88.5

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745