Archiving Records To Improve Performance

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Sat Jul 8 16:10:42 EDT 2017

On 7/8/2017 12:14 PM, Michael Luderitz wrote:
> I have been using Gnucash for over 5 years, accumulating all the data in a
> single file name. Opening the file and saving it has become more and more
> time consuming. Is there a way to archive the prior years so that only one
> or two years are carried forward in the active file?

There is no AUTOMATED process to do this. But there is a way to mimic
the "new volumes" from the days of pen and ink on paper in bound books
bookkeeping.

a) Run a "close the books" for the end of the period. Run a Balance
Sheet report. Export/ import your CoA (it will be empty). Make a copy of
the old file as your archive.
b) Enter the opening transaction(s) using the balance sheet balances for
all "standing" accounts (asset, liability, equity). This can be done
with a single transaction (split on both sides) but you might find it
easier to use two each split on just one side << this part of the
process is very much like manually starting a new set of books >>

To look at your historical data, just tell gnucash to open that file
(the archive file). I am always opening gnucash "no file" so get to
choose which file I want opened because I am keeping several sets of
books (and probably DON'T want to open again the one I last had open).
If you have many of these archive files and frequently need to look at
that year (or whatever) you might want to do likewise.

Michael D Novack

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.