Ver. 2.4.11 recovery

james garftd at verizon.net
Sun Jul 9 13:16:24 EDT 2017

On 07/09/17 08:15, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:
> We'll take this in steps
>

> On 7/9/2017 12:06 AM, james wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Good news, I lost a small 5 year history (but should have backups from
>> last year. I've been really sick for 6 months, so my gnu-skills
>> fuzzy, weak or just blank.
>>
>> When I fire up gnucash all I get is an empty version. I have 5 years of
>> data in gnucash, but I cannot seem to get the data to load. gnucash
>> fires up just fine; everything is zeros. I use (gentoo) linux.
>>
>> In the past I just launched  (gnucash &) and it found everything.
>> I think I deleted files I should not have.
> When  you start gnucash (normally) it will try to open the file (books)
> that were last opened. But you can still TELL gnucash to open a
> different file (file => open) and those of us who use the "no file"
> parameter will have gnucash start without trying to open a file so we
> are always specifying which via file => open. A drop down shows the last
> four you can select from but you can write in some other.
>

>> So I've tried to load up older files, even a year older or so with no
>> luck. The chart of accounts and names are there, just no data.
> You SAY you have backups of your older data. Do you? Did you make them?
> What did you call them and where did you put them? Getting JUST the CoA
> sounds to me that you are not looking at a file that is a copy of the
> file at backup time. Did you THINK you were making a backup by
> exporting? (just the CoA)
>>
>> Any ideas on recovery ?   I many .log files and .guncash files
>> that are not empty, but nothing I try loads any of the older data.
> You would recover by opening a backup file. Look, this is just like
> moving to a new/different computer, where you would bring in the data
> from some portable medium you could use between the two machines. But
> you have to have a proper backup file to do that.
>
>  Michael S Novack

Hello,

GOOD NEWS, stroke of luck. The old lappy must have a bad mobo battery.
The date was set for 2006. So there were a few copyies made under the
2006 date. I was able to load one of those up and it had all the data
complete history.

I then reset the mobo & system OS clocks and loaded up an old version
and made several copies of the <file>.gnucash file my main entires are
for the checkbook and the credit card files (99%) so all the data from
previous year is there.

Thanks for your response. After I get the 2016 data entered and generate
the reports, I can deliver for a belated 2016 tax filing (had
extensions) for both the business and personal.

Then, now that I have a newer lappy, I'll put linux on it and upgrade
to the latest stable....

sincerely,
James