Ver. 2.4.11 recovery

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Sun Jul 9 08:15:35 EDT 2017

We'll take this in steps

On 7/9/2017 12:06 AM, james wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Good news, I lost a small 5 year history (but should have backups from
> last year. I've been really sick for 6 months, so my gnu-skills
> fuzzy, weak or just blank.
>
> When I fire up gnucash all I get is an empty version. I have 5 years of
> data in gnucash, but I cannot seem to get the data to load. gnucash
> fires up just fine; everything is zeros. I use (gentoo) linux.
>
> In the past I just launched  (gnucash &) and it found everything.
> I think I deleted files I should not have.
When  you start gnucash (normally) it will try to open the file (books)
that were last opened. But you can still TELL gnucash to open a
different file (file => open) and those of us who use the "no file"
parameter will have gnucash start without trying to open a file so we
are always specifying which via file => open. A drop down shows the last
four you can select from but you can write in some other.

> So I've tried to load up older files, even a year older or so with no
> luck. The chart of accounts and names are there, just no data.
You SAY you have backups of your older data. Do you? Did you make them?
What did you call them and where did you put them? Getting JUST the CoA
sounds to me that you are not looking at a file that is a copy of the
file at backup time. Did you THINK you were making a backup by
exporting? (just the CoA)

> Any ideas on recovery ?   I many .log files and .guncash files
> that are not empty, but nothing I try loads any of the older data.
You would recover by opening a backup file. Look, this is just like
moving to a new/different computer, where you would bring in the data
from some portable medium you could use between the two machines. But
you have to have a proper backup file to do that.

  Michael S Novack